Recipe for a Healthy Corporate Culture
What are the ingredients in a healthy company culture? Most of us recognize a healthy culture when we’re part of one and can certainly sense the cold chill of an unhealthy culture when we encounter it. I’ll stay on the positive side, however, and enlist your help in identifying the ingredients you deem are essential for a healthy culture.
- Ethics; the willingness to do the right thing
- Lack of fear
- Leaders that create vision, care for people, and protect the mission
- Team spirit
- Questioning; no such thing as a bad question
- People performing at the highest level
- People recommend the workplace to family and friends
- Leaders genuinely interested in how employees feel
- Employee health and safety comes first
- The “do good” to “look good” ratio is in balance
- Urgency and excitement to make a difference
- Employees before customers
What have I missed? Isn’t a culture that makes “every day a great day” a beautiful thing? Which company cultures you think exemplify this recipe?
For more than 32 years, Alex Pollock was an influential leader of business operations for the Dow Chemical Co., providing strategic expertise in the area of EH&S, Sustainability, Change Management, Merger Management, Public Affairs and Community Relations. He retired from Dow in June 2008 to pursue his passion, through his own company Equipping You LLC, to encourage and equip EH&S leaders to bring the very best out of their followers.